Thursday 19 June 2014

Summer Pregnancy Fashion

This post will hopefully show, how spending money on pregnancy clothes during summer is completely useless. And how you can very easily adjust the clothes you have already for them to fit you throughout your pregnancy. This way the items you end up during your pregnancy will live on to serve you after the birth as well :) And this way you don't have to find storage room for clothes that are unfit to wear once your little bundle of joy is here :) 

1.
First thing first. I bought a pair of maternity jeans, because they are part of my work attire. I figured since I have to wear them there, they might as well be comfortable. 
If I wouldn't have to wear jeans at work, I could get away with using a hair band/hair bubble with my pre-pregnancy jeans. 
Since hair bands are stretchy they are perfect to add those extra cm's. Just tie them through the button hole and then use the loop to keep your the button closed. 

I have featured my pregnancy jeans quite a few times already on my blog, so I won't add a picture. If you find that you just must have something maternity..go for the jeans :) And go for the classic blue colour that will work with everything :)

2.
Stretchy waist shorts - I like silky materials, because I can then either dress them down or dress them up depending on the occasion. 
Casual Outfit
Shorts, tank top, flat sandals and accessories

Dressed up
Shorts, top, blazer, heeled sandals and accessories


I realise that when your feet are swollen the last thing you want to do is squeeze them in heeled sandals, but you can always try wedges - I find them much more comfortable and you can find them everywhere in the shops during the summer.
If you really can't do heel, funk your outfit up with some crazy flat sandals :) bows, diamantes, bling :)

3. Loose blouse -  I am a big fan of white blouses, because they go with anything. Dress it up, dress it down, it's so versatile. 
You can also go for a colour during the summer. Just make sure you can use it with a lot of your outfits...It's all about the mix and match.

Go for a sleeveless one or a one with 3/4 or full sleeve.


A long sleeved shirt with a maxi skirt will give you a bohemian look that's totally IN this summer (and was for the past previous summers :D ) Finish the look with some bangles, nice sandals and a beach bag. 

Or go for a more sophisticated look with some heels and a mid-length skirt (skirt - Pringle, blouse - h&m, shoes - zara) Bring the whole look in with a waist belt

4. The last look brings me to the next staple piece in my wardrobe - THE MAXI SKIRT
The only adjustment I've had to do wearing a maxi skirt and being pregnant, that before I would wear it at my waist...now that I don't have a waist, I wear it right below my boobs (empire waist).
Wearing it this way really accentuates the baby bump - be proud of it - show it off.  A-line skirts work wonders as well

Wear with a tank top for a casual summer look or a long sleeved blouse :) 
My blouse doesn't actually button up, or shall I say button all the way down :D so I just tied it into a knot.



5. Short loose dress - Go for a single colour ( pick a basic one) This way you can change the look up easily with different accessories.

This Forever21 black dress with double straps is one of my recent buys (only 12 pounds). It has already become one of my favorites. 

Flat sandals and laid back accessories for a Day look


Add some colour :) don't be shy


Heels and bling with a clutch bag for a summery date night 


Don't go too short though, because having that baby bump will take even more inches off the dress. You don't want to end up showing your private parts to the world with a smallest gush of wind. 

And you can always go for a lighter colour :) This dress is also from Forever21 and was about as much as the black one.


Casual look with a cardigan

Fancy it up with wedges and a blazer

Hello baby bump :D 


6. Maxi dress - This is the piece in your wardrobe that will serve as a whole outfit. Just bring along a little cardigan for when the day turns to night. Not the little one with buttons though...don't flatter yourself...you can't wear everything that's not maternity :D it will look ridiculous with the buttons popping open. 

Go for empire waist or just stretchy top part.

Why not add a leather jacket for when the garden party turns into a night out in the pub ( of course no alcohol for you...or me )



7. A Blazer with no buttons. The ones that are already tailored without will fit much better. They are just designed to fall the way your bump will peek out from the middle :) 

This piece is so versatile. I have been wearing my River Island one all through my pregnancy and will continue to do so.


8. Cardigan - For summer I go for lighter colour, but go for whatever colour will work with the rest of your wardrobe. But remember those buttons if you do go for a tighter cut. I like them loose fit , just wear a fitting tank top underneath so the look wouldn't feel too bulky. We don't need to feel even more heavier than we already are :D 

Add it to you casual outfits during the chillier summer nights or cover your sholders from the blazing sun. 

9. Tank Tops and T-Shirts. In every colour :D I have about 20 of them and they have worked for me throughout those 7 months and will hopefully work for those last 2 as well. I do recommend buying the longer cut though as I've noticed that with the ones I bought pre-pregnancy my belly is peeking out from the bottom...

10. On top of all of the favorite pieces on the list there is always this one statement outfit  that you go back to when you just can't decide. This is different for everyone, and it is something that will either make you feel incredibly comfortable or sexy or summery. 
If you don't think you've got one, think of the things you wear the most. 
For me it's actually my shorts and lazer combo. It has worked for me in the past and it will work in the future because it's tried and tested.
So whenever I'm stuck with finding an outfit this is what I'll end up going for usually :)

Hope you got some inspiration to make your wardrobe work for you so you can spend those saved pounds you would've normally spent on maternity clothing on your little one. 
I have to say that none of these pieces really were maternity, and I am actually 7 months and 2 weeks pregnant, so it is possible.

Let me know if you think I've missed anything :) And if you need any extra information about the looks :) 

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment