Monday 9 June 2014

Buckwheat salad

D is away for the week, which means I only have to think about myself when making dinner. Like I've mentioned before our usual home cooked dinners are either chicken stir frys or fishcakes with salad. But today I thought, I'll do something different.
It's something I used to eat all the time, but kind of stopped, because I don't think D would appreciate a completely vegetarian dish. To be honest, without the spoonful of creme fresh it would be a vegan dish :) 

I tried to get all the ingredients organic, but had to make some compromises, as the shop didn't stock them. So the spinach and cucumber are not organic, they are grown in England though, so at least they didn't have to go through a lot of travel. 
Also the avocados I used were not organic, because I don't buy them organic anyway. They are on the low risk side of pesticides and GMO's so it's another compromise worth doing. 

But here you go...


All the prep. I've got grated carrots and beetroot. Then I chopped some cucumber, tomato and spring onions, which I seasoned with just salt and pepper. A bag of washed baby spinach and homemade guacamole. 


This is buckwheat. I am used to eating it, as it used to be a simple thing to do for dinner in Estonia. Usually eat it with some sour cream salad and fried bacon. I just boiled it with some sea salt. I get mine from a Lithuanian shop around the corner from our flat, but you can also find it in the organic/healthy sections in supermarkets. I do recommend venturing out to little eastern European shops for it though, as it will be about 8 times cheaper there.


My home-made guacamole. I used two ripe avocados, chopped garlic and chopped red onion. Seasoned with some salt and pepper and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.....AMAZING


And here is the salad. I added a bit of creme fresh to my buckwheat this time so all the other ingredients are on the side, but the times when I leave the creme part, I like to mix everything together so it will look more like a salad :)


And since I prepped all the ingredients in the containers, I now have everything ready for me to make myself another portion of salad for work lunch :) 

This salad is so easy to do and the only hard part about it is not going for seconds...even though it's so healthy and packed with vitamins you can easily go for thirds without feeling guilty :)

So enjoy :) 

And I know it's really healthy, but I don't eat like that every day...and here's a picture to prove it. 


Crab and chilli linguini in Cusina Rustica :) and I said yes to the parmesan cheese :D 

It's all about the balance in my opinion. If I would deprive myself of something then I'm pretty sure it would be the only thing I will crave for days. And if I want some chocolate, I will have that too... 

:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment