Tuesday 22 July 2014

What's In My Hospital Bag

I now have everything I think I will need at the hospital. I was just waiting to write this post until I get the last few bits and bobs...which I now have :)
The bag I'm going to take with me is just a big sports bag and I have both my things and things for the baby in it. D has his own bag that he has also packed, I know that there is a spare pillow and some sports drinks for me in there and then just things he might need for an overnight stay.


I might have packed things I don't need in there, but at least I know that when I have forgotten anything, D can always pop back home after the birth and get it for me, because we only live 30 minutes away(talking about getting the train here)...it would be faster with a taxi or car.

Anyway, I have done quite a bit of research on what to bring for both me and the baby, but in the end I've kind of stayed in the guidelines of the list that I got from the hospital and then added a few things I think I might need as well.

My Things

I am bringing two toiletry bags. They are both from Primark and I think they were about 3 pounds each...


This one holds all the washing things I will need. It also has a little hook on it so I can hang it up in the shower.


The bottles are also from Primark. The whole set was only a pound and it comes with labels as well, which is useful, because I could choose which ones I needed.
I am bringing only my toothbrush as D has one in his bag for himself and the toothpaste is actually the one I got from the Mom to Be Bounty pack. It's for 0-3 year old, but I don't really care, it's nice and small and I'll only use it a couple of times anyway.
I also have a soother for him in there, I don't think I'll need it, but I took it just in case anyway. I also have a small sudocreme, which I will use as a diaper cream if I need to...some cotton pads, paracetamol and also a spare pair of contact lenses.

The second one has a few extra maternity towels for me (I have a full pack in the bag as well), disposable underwear and 2 pairs of normal panties. I figured I'll use the disposable ones in the hospital though, because I can just throw them away and don't have to drag them back home.
I also have breast pads, which I think I wont need, because the milk won't come in until a few days, which means I probably won't have any leakage until I get home. And also a bag full of cotton balls for the baby



I will also take my make up bag with me. But I'll  just put it in my bag once its time to go.

Since I'm planning a water birth I won't be needing a delivery gown, I will be taking my bikini top though :D I just think that before he comes out, there is no need for me to be flashing my boobs. My bottom half will be under water anyway so I don't think about that...plus the midwife will be checking the progress every now and then so she will need a clear access.
I'm also taking two towels. A large dark one and a hand and face one.
In case there isn't a birthing pool available (my hospital only has 3) I am taking a baggy t-shirt. I've got one in dark blue from h&m the other day just for that, so I won't mind it getting ruined.

And for the aftermath of the birth. I'm taking slippers and a button down sleep shirt, which will be great for breastfeeding. For that I am also taking a pair of maternity bra. I got this one from Mothercare. It was in a pack of two for 4 pounds in sale. The previous price was 30 pounds :O I'll be honest I would never pay 30 pounds for something that ugly, as necessary as it might be :D



Since it was 4 pounds for 2 pairs though, I got 2 packs in different sizes, because I imagine once the milk comes in my breast will get even bigger :D so I got a pack with a bigger cup size as well.

I am also bringing this breastfeeding scarf. I am not a fan of those capes at all, and this one I got from my friend Kadi as a present, and I think it's amazing. I am aware that in the hospital no one probably cares about me flashing a boob every now and then, but I'm bringing it in case I will have to stay for a bit longer and we will have visitors in the hospital. So when he needs feeding I can still easily do it with the guests there :)


I'm also bringing my laptop and my phone charger. We don't actually have a camera, so we will be using our phones for all the photos. Plus I can also use my laptop to do a few videos of those precious first moment :)
Also bringing this little funky speaker D gave me to take. So will be using this to blast the tunes  .... joking.


I haven't quite decided on what I'm going to wear to come home, because it totally depends on the weather. If it stays like this or if he comes in the next week, I will probably just wear a tank top and leggings and the shoes I go in there with (they will probably be my Dune sandals, because I live in them )
Again I will throw something in the bag once the time is right.

D gave me this water spray, which will come useful before I can get in the birthing pool, or if I can't use it then during the labour.


I've also packed these 4 snackbars. They told us in the hospital to pack some snacks like banana and fruit, but I can't exactly pack those a head of time :D So probably will just grab a banana on our way out, or more likely forget to and have to go to the hospital shop...either way it's not a big deal. (and like I said D has some isotonic sports drinks for me) I will also bring my water bottle and my wallet and phone.


For him I am bringing a whole pack of newborn nr1 diapers ( I probably won't need all of them, but the pack fits into the side pocket so I'm bringing it)


I am also bringing a pack on baby wipes, which he won't need, but I figured would be useful for me and D, when it gets too sweaty and there is no time to get a shower.


Again I'm not sure how many days I will have to be in the hospital, so I'm probably bringing more clothes for him that I need, but they don't take much room, so it doesn't matter.


What else...3 musling squares and a blanket. I'm actually not sure If i will bring this one, because it's too nice :D I might just take a simple one that I don't mind getting dirty.



I'm also bringing this Tommee Tippee grooming kit. He might have long nails and hair, so some of the things in there might come useful. Again it's so small, I don't mind if I don't end up using it.


And the last thing is the car seat. We are not really taking it with us in the first place, because it would be silly, as we don't have a car, so we can't really leave it the car. So D will have to definitely come back home for it in the end. But it's all good.

Almost forgot...I am also bringing a plastic bag, for all the dirty clothes I need to bring back home with me. And a lip balm...apparently your lips get really dry during labour. To be honest this one makes sense, because you are getting rid of a lot of fluids so the first thing that would happen with dehydration is your lips getting dry.

Do you think I've forgotten something? Or is there something I should bring that no one tells you about, but you found useful?
Leave a comment below :)




No comments:

Post a Comment