Friday 18 July 2014

Hot Summer Days

It has been so freaking hot lately. It's about 30 outside at the moment and 25 inside, and I am sweating my face off. Obviously not a day to go shopping, or I might actually give birth outside Primark. There is a food fest in the city centre though, so I'm hoping to go check that out, maybe score some funky cheese or ham or chutney...got to love chutney.

On a normal summer, I would be in the park tanning my bum, and just chilling in the sun for hours and hours, and then maybe head to a bar for some refreshing drinks later, but this summer, being almost 9 months pregnant, I just want to sit in front of a fan and concentrate on breathing, take about 7 cold showers and drink lots of water...it's not great. Still, I would take this any day to being heavily pregnant during winter, and having to wear layers and layers of clothes and squeeze my slightly swollen feet into boots and socks.

I have been off work now for a week and a half, and I must say I did panic a bit in the beginning thinking I will be bored to death, but in all honesty I'm quite enjoying not having to go to work, excpecially in this weather. I have also kept myself fairly busy. I've seen a few friends and I yesterday I went for the breastfeeding class in the hospital.

The class turned out to be really useful, because I have heard horror stories of how it hurts like hell and there is not enough milk, and all my worries were put at ease. So now I'm quite calm about breastfeeding, which is something I really wanted to do for the little one, because it is so much better for them than formula.

After the class I went to Serenity salon, which I found, do reflexology. I heard it's really good for relaxation and just having that little pamper session, before the labour. Because stress can really slow things down, and I don't want that to happen. So I'll try it out on my appointment on Monday. It might even help with my sleep, because like I said, I haven't been sleeping all that great lately. But I will let you guys know, once I've been, because there is no point speculating. I have actually had reflexology before in Tenerife, and it would've been amazing, but the spa was on the main square and there was this really annoying and loud street performer there, while I was trying to relax, so I didn't get the full experience. I'm hoping it's better environment this time :D
I have also been doing a lot of reading, mostly baby stuff. Keeping myself occupied by getting ahead of myself and trying to learn what to do when he is 3 :D But it's all good fun...like I said, I'm trying to keep myself occupied, and this heat leaves me little options on what to do.

Completely forgot to mention that I had my midwife appointment as well on Monday, where she measured the little guy (fundal height) and he seems to be quite a big baby. I mean give it 2 weeks and he'll be off the chart. Hopefully it's just the way the midwife measures me, and you can't really get an accurate size/height with a measuring tape. I am also pretty sure, that if she would be worried about the size, she would send me for an ultrasound to make sure he's not getting TOO big for me. Another thing, which I don't think has happened, but the midwife was pretty sure of, was that, she told me baby boy is engaged, which means he is head down, where he is meant to be. And to be honest before the midwife appointment I did think that he is moving around and goes sideways every now and then, but apparently that's just him stretching. But yes, that is definitely good news, as it means, my body and the little one are getting ready for the big exit :D

Another thing I don't think I have mentioned that I started out by wanting waterbirth, and then I don't know why, maybe it's because I watched a lot of videos of births, but I changed my mind. I was set on having a lie down birth, with all the drugs and epidural, then we went to the parent education class, and it was just really amazing how instead of me being scared to death about birth, I've actually changed my mind back to having a waterbirth. Obviously I will have a plan B as the hospital only has 3 birth pools, but having a water birth is definitely my first choice now. And I am aware it leaves me little to none options for pain relief, but there is always an option of getting out if it gets too intolerable :)

It's just that I think I should take advantage of having an option to have a water birth, because it's only available if you've had a straight forward pregnancy with no complications, which I have had. And the stories and all of the midwives opinion on it has been so positive, I just figures why not :D

Have you had a good waterbirth ? let me know how it went :) It would be great to hear more stories


No comments:

Post a Comment