Friday 8 August 2014

Apple Crumble Cake Recipe

Here is my go to recipe for an apple crumble cake.



What you need:


  • Ready made shortcrust pastry ( I know it's so easy to make yourself, but the pastry costs less than getting all the ingredients separately)
  • 3 apples ( I've used different types, and they all work)
  • Jam for the base ( the one I used this time I got from my friend, she actually brought it all the way from Poland, where her mum made it, and it's amazing. It's strawberry and blueberry flavour)
  • Sugar
  • flour
  • butter

Start off by baking the pastry on it's own for about 10 minutes in a preheated oven (175'C) just so the bottom won't be soggy.
Cut the apples into small cubes and put them in a pot with a bit of water, sugar and cinnamon and cook them until they have turned a bit softer. I actually use more water than neccassary probably, because at the end I add a bit of flower. This created a jam like consistency of the remaining sugary/cinnamon flavoured water.
I then take the pastry off the oven and add the jam to the base. Then add the apples on top.

For the crumble I actually used a ready made pack (I had some leftover) But if you don't have one in the cupboard, just make it yourself...it's so easy.
Use cold butter, flour and sugar. Just mix everything together with your fingers until you get a sand like consistency. Make sure the butter is really cold otherwise it will start melting right away. I also like to wash my hands under cold water before, so my body heat won't start melting the butter. 

Then add the crumble mix on top of the apples. I like a lot of crumble and at this point I also add some brown demera sugar. It's a cake, it's meant to be sweet. 
And yes, it's not very healthy, but it's comfort food, and it's so good.
Just serve it up with some vanilla ice cream or in this case we didn't have any so, had a squirt of cream instead. 

So simple, quick and delicious :)




No comments:

Post a Comment