Friday 22 August 2014

1 Week Postpartum Update

Has it really been a week already? We have survived it :) This has probably been one of the most challenging week of my life and yet I don't mind because it's all worth it, every minute not spent sleeping and fully functioning :D
First of all I would like to mention that they really don't tell you the pain you feel after the birth. Muscles I didn't even know existed hurt and I still find it a bit painful to sit down. First few days were the worst. Just the thought of getting out of bed so I can leave the room to calm the little one made me tear up and then another thought that I have to breastfeed.....
So the plan was for me to solely breastfeed for about 6 weeks and then start using a pump to express for one night feed and emergency. But I'm finding it really hard. On day 3 I actually cried because of the pain. And yes, some of you might say that he is probably just not latching on properly, but he was getting a good feed that put him down for a good few hours, it's just that feeding every 2-3 hours every day is really hard on your nipples. It really is....so the plan failed. We got the pump and I'm pumping every few hours to build up the milk production and we are also using formula, to get him to gain some weight. He was 3kg when born and at his 5 day check-up he weighed at a tiny 2.7 kg

So all in all things that have gone according to the plan : Zero
And that's ok. We are making things work for us and it's really something you have to do rather than vigilantly sticking to some silly plan you made before the baby arrived.

Here is my 1 week postpartum update. I will talk baby all through the week anyway, so I won't do a seperate one about him. 





This is what I look 1 week after giving birth. I am actually amazed at how fast I bounced back. I still have a little belly, which is absolutely fine. It's quite funny actually, because it's really soft little O likes to sleep on it :D
All together I have lost about 15/16 pounds. I have not done anything other than breasfeeding in a sense of excercise :D so that is just the weigh that has hone off without any real effort. I do think I need to do some muscle work to get back in shape but I'll wait until the pain resides and I've had my 6 week check-up and ok from the doctor.
My stitches are healing nicely and there is now just a little uncomfort rather than real pain.
Also like I said earlier, instead of solely breastfeeding I am now expressing milk and using a bottle most of the time, I do like to get in a feed in the evening though and get some bonding time. I have to top him up with a bottle though because he just dozes off after 15-20 minutes and then wakes up a bit hungry. But I'm afraid 20 minutes is maximum I can have him latched on because of the pain.
I am using a hand pump (tommee tippee) at the moment but will probably get an electric one soon to be more efficient. And we are using Hipp Organic formula. O seems ok with all of these ways of feeding. And a happy and full baby makes happy parents :D
It is all very surreal though...I can't believe I'm a mother. And it's amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment