Thursday 4 December 2014

Hospital Bag Checklist


Good Evening, Everyone :)

Like I mentioned in my baby information post I wanted to do a list for all the new time mothers who are packing at the moment.
It's solely based on my experience and I have to mention that I was only kept in the hospital for 24 hours after birth as Oscar managed to latch on and have a feed and all the checks were fine as well.
I don't know how long they keep you in the hospital in any other countries so bare that mind when you read my list.
I know there are loads out there anyway, but I thought it would be good to have a personal view of things :)

Things for the Mother

Labour clothes and shoes - wear them there so you wouldn't have to pack them with you
I went into labour in a  jersey dress and sandals. I wore the dress for the whole of labour as they do check you very often it would be annoying to keep taking your trousers off. I also wore the dress during the delivery...I actually threw it away rather than bringing it home and washing it. I intentionally wore something I wouldn't mind getting ruined. Blood sweat and tears.
The sandals I wore to get to the hospital I used to get around after the delivery, I only wore my packed slippers to get to my bed from the shower, so they were useless really.
Sandals wouldn't probably work if you're having a winter baby though :D So you might need a change of shoes. Bring flip flops instead of slippers though, as you can use them under the shower as well.
Towels  - I mean the ones you use after a shower. Pack a smaller one for your hair if you have long hair. It's unlikely the hospital has hairdryers and you don't want to have dripping wet hair while taking care of a baby.
Underwear - Forget the disposable ones. If you have a natural birth there will be blood and normal underwear hold the maternity pads much better. Also finding a bin in a ward is not as easy as you might think :D So put the dirty ones in a plastic bag...
Sleep shirt - Bring a long stretchy shirt that will be comfortable to sleep in and put on and take off. If you are breastfeeding just pull it up, weather you are in a private room or in a ward with other women you can just pull the curtains up for privacy
Basic hygiene - Shampoo, shower gel/soap, face wash and a toothbrush and toothpaste. I doubt you want to spend ages in the shower to condition scrub and then moisturise yourself :D
Maternity towels - you really don't want to forget these. I do recommend you asking the midwives for the hospital ones though, they have got the best stuff :D
Going home clothes - Something comfortable. I took a pair of leggings a long tank top and a stretchy sweater...they worked very well.
NB! your stomach will look like you are still pregnant. It's now soft but you do need something stretchy rather than stiff. Check my post partum update posts to get an idea where you will be in a matter of weeks/months
Make-up - this is completely a personal preference. I just felt like I needed a bit to make myself look better. If you do decide you might want some the next day or for guests or those first pictures then again basics...bb cream/foundation and some mascara did it for me.
Whatever you do decide or not decide to pack....I will tell you this...bring a lip balm or Vaseline or some lip gloss...anything to keep your lips moisturised. You will lose a lot of water during delivery and labour with sweat and everything else and you will get dry and cracked lips. SO BRING LIP BALM
Snacks - Bring a few. I was one of the strange one who was not allowed to eat during labour as they thought I am getting diabetes and my sugar level was very high. Also if you have epidural you are not allowed to eat. But the snacks I packed came handy after the delivery after I had been starved by the hospital staff for about 40 hours :D I'll tell you...a chewy nut bar has never tasted as good as it did once I got to the post-labour ward :)

For the Baby
A hat - all the hats you will get will be too big, but it's still good to have something covering the top of her fragile head. Socks and mittens are useless.
2 Sleep suits. This will get you through the night. I would've been fine with just 1 until the morning but the staff decided to give O a bit of formula milk (again with the diabetes, they wanted to see if my breast milk will affect his sugar levels...it didn't) and he was not having any of it. It all came out in a sticky mess in the middle of the night so I had to change his clothes.
2 short/long sleeve vest tops. A baby needs an extra layer.
Also on a ''fun'' side note. One of the ladies in my ward decided to soil herself (it was probably due to epidural, but still)and the midwives opened all the windows. I was cold...let alone Oscar..he was covered in about 4 blankets.
Honestly, thinking back on my labour and delivery I am getting slightly angry...I gave birth in Birmingham Women's Hospital and honestly staff there...there is a lot of room for improvement.
Nappies - I brought the whole pack of 36, I probably used 5. To be honest in those first hours they really don't do much. He did do a sticky black poo in the hospital though.
Baby wipes - everyone will tell you not to use wipes and use cotton wool instead....I'm telling you to send those people where the sun don't shine :D
You have just given birth, you are in a strange place, and your little wonder they call baby has just had the stickiest poo you will ever see...you do not want to go looking for a kettle to boil water...then wait for it to cool to the right temperature...then find a bowl to put the water in...then find a bin and 100 cotton wool balls to clean up that tiny sticky mess.
5 wipes will do the same job :D
Muslin Cloth - bring 1 (I packed 3...I don't know why) just in case there is a spit up
Cosy Blanket - A nice cosy blanket is a must. I took a cellular one, because that's what they tell you to do, but made D bring a nice fleece one the next day.

A Camera - It's something we didn't take since we don't actually have one :D but we both had our phones.
They also tell you to take chargers but I have to warn you to charge everything you go to the hospital because you are not allowed to plug anything in the walls as it may affect the apparatus in the hospital.

And this is literally all you will need/use
I packed a whole lot of useless things like breast pads (unless you are leaking already I doubt your milk will come in the minute you give birth) If you are still scared, bring 2 rather than the whole pack I did :D
I also took a grooming kit for Oscar. I thought I might need a hair brush if he has hair and nail clippers...the last thing you will be doing to your baby is brushing his hair, and their fingers are so tiny you will not be attempting to clip their nails anytime soon :D plus their nails are so thin they won't do any permanent damage.
Don't bring the scratch mittens. Actually don't even use them...ever :D they are horrible. The two pairs I bought I now use as mittens when the weather is colder and he is not wearing his onesie.
And socks are also pretty useless :D

The only reason I am telling you to pack less stuff is that it will then be easier for you the find the stuff you actually need.
And again I remind you that this is based on a one night stay. But even if you have to stay for longer have your husband/friend/mother/sister/partner bring you the extra things the next day. It's all about making your first hours easier for yourself.
Everything will be new and scary already why make it hard as well by having to rampage through your massive suitcase.

Hope you found the post useful :)
Stay tuned
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment