Friday 13 November 2015

Home-Made Take-Away

Good Afternoon, Everyone :)
Today I will be sharing a dinner recipe that we love and have weekly. Home-made bunless burgers with sweet potato fries, corn on the cob and guacamole.
As a family we don't get a lot of take-away food. Reasons are, that you can never be too sure about the quality of the food and it's really a hit or miss with taste sometimes. Another reason is that I really enjoy cooking and some might say I'm a feeder :D It's my way of showing I care. I cook a nice dinner and I love trying out new recipes, using amazing produce and making tasty meals for myself, D and Oscar. Don't get me wrong we do like a nice pizza every now and then when it's either been a long day or a week. We also order Indian food every now and then because D likes a curry and I can't really make one....to be honest I hadn't even tasted a curry before I met him :D
But here it is. One of our family favourites...BURGER AND FRIES :) and I have to mention that I forgot to put the corn in the oven....CORN IS MISSING :D

What you need :
BURGER
 - good quality mince meat 250 grams is enough for 2 people (2 and a half in our case)
 - 1 red onion
 - 1 clove of garlic
 - 1 egg
 - 1 gherkin (This is optional :D)
 - Seasoning ( I use garlic pepper, salt, basil, and also generic italian seasoning)
 - cheese ( I like to grate the cheese and then top the burgers at the last minute. I then put a lid on the pan for a minute or so to let the cheese melt) You can also mix the cheese into the burger before cooking.
With the burgers you just mix all the ingredients together and add the egg last. The egg will bind the whole mixture together. Make two (2 big 1 tiny for our family :D I made 3 medium size this time) patties and leave them on the side until you prepare all the rest of the ingredients

SWEET POTATO FRIES
 - 2 sweet potatoes ( but this depends on the size)
 - seasoning ( I use a ready made potato seasoning by Santa Maria, in UK you can find it pretty much every Lithuanian, Polish, international store) But paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder and salt powder will do just as well
 - oil
I have a trick here. I use a big zip lock bag, add dry sweet potato fries...I dry them with a paper towel, then I add the seasoning shake it up and the oil Zip the bag up again and give it a last good shake. I cook the fries in a 180'C over for about 15-20 minutes or until they are crispy. You don't want to put too many on a tray because if the tray is overloaded the potato ends up steaming rather than crisping up. And I use greaseproof paper rather than foil, as I find that foil makes the fries stick more.
GUACAMOLE
 - 1 ripe avocado. (here's a tip. If you can squeeze the stone out of the avocado it's perfect for guacamole)
 - finely chopped onion slice
 - 1 clove of garlic ( I like to use a garlic press, because I think it makes the taste more intense)
 - finely sliced jalapeno pepper (just for that extra kick) you can also use chilli powder or chilli flakes or leave this part out all together.
 - oil
 - salt
 - pepper
- squeese of lime ( I usually don't have lime so I add lemon pepper instead )
 - finely chopped tomato
( Oscar doesn't have this, which is why I can add the jalapeno. He doesn't like the texture of avocado on its own, so he has cucumber slices instead)

CORN ON THE COB
This is pretty straight forward :D we use big frozen packs of vegetables and the same with corn. SO I just put the frozen corn in the oven with the fries and add a knob of butter after cooking. ( like I said earlier I forgot the corn )

And there you go...An amazing dinner, that everyone will enjoy. And you can make it high carb by adding that burger bun if you really feel like treating yourself :D

Hope you enjoyed the post
Do you have a dinnertime favourite?
Do let me know once you've tried out the recipe yourself and
as always, Stay tuned
xoxo
Meril

No comments:

Post a Comment