Friday 11 December 2015

Baking Gingerbread Cookies

Hello, Everyone :)
I remember when I was little, our Christmas tradition was to make gingerbread cookies with my sister and my mother. It was so much fun to roll out the dough and cut the biscuits out, eat the leftover dough :D and then once the house was filled with the sweet smells of cinnamon and ginger and the biscuits had cooled down enough it was time for decorating them with icing in every single Christmassy colour. And I couldn't wait until I can do it with Oscar :) I will admit, that he is still A TINY BIT too young to understand what is actually happening, but we had so much fun anyway :) He had fun sprinkling the flour and then eating it :S :D
I got the dough from my mom. They sell these small packages of ready made gingerbread dough in every single shop so I had her bring some to me when she came down :) It lasts for a really long time in the fridge and of course you can always just bake the cookies and store them in an airtight container for weeks :)
It was a pretty messy affair and obviously made even messier by the ''helping'' 15 month old :D

I went for the tarditional Christmas colours for the icing -  white,green and red.
I made the icing with butter and icing sugar. I mixed 2 cups of icing sugar with 3 tablespoons of orange juice and a few drops of vanilla and then divided the mix in three small bowls. I kept one simple and white and added green and red food colouring to the other ones. The red looks a lot like pink because it turned out pink :D :) The piping bags I used are actually just ziplock bags with a little hole cut in the corner. I don't like reusable piping bags only because I hate washing them :D You can really use any plactic bag you have, as long as it's clean and doesn't have any holes in it :D
And this is the end product.
Its was so much fun preparing them and decorationg them while the candles burned softly and SmoothXmas was playing in the radio :D

A great evening treat with a mug of mulled wine...what more can you ask :) Your child to maybe go to sleep at a reasonable time...maybe just that :D

Hope you enjoyed the post 
Stay tuned
xoxo
Meril

3 comments:

  1. Aww this is such a cute post and it looks like you both had a lot of fun making these! Not to mention how cute the biscuits look - I love festive baking xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Samantha :)
      The fun always makes up for the mess :D

      Delete
  2. I loved the pics , and i enjoyed eating the biscuits whenever i came ...fun, artistic creativity, and it takes good, what else do you want ?...

    ReplyDelete